Dr. Kevin Nadal is a counseling psychologist who received his Ph.D. from Columbia University in 2008. He has been working professionally in higher education since 1998, and began facilitating multicultural awareness training because there were limited trainers in existence. With his education in counseling psychology, he had been extensively trained in individual and group therapy and multicultural competence, which has enabled him to effectively lead groups and communicate with individuals. Through the years, Dr. Nadal has developed a model of his multicultural training, which has gained popularity among many companies, groups, individuals, and organizations. In 2008, he officially launched Kevin Nadal Consulting.
Kevin Nadal Consulting is dedicated to the advancement of multicultural issues in psychology, education, social sciences, health, and business, through the promoting of multicultural awareness, communication, and competence.
Kevin Nadal Consulting provides multicultural training, education, and consulting for numerous companies. Companies have included: non-profit organizations, educational institutions, and corporations. He is also a scholar who can serve as an expert witness in a variety of legal cases.
Areas of expertise include:
a) Filipino or Filipino American families and mental health
b) Asian American/ Pacific Islander families and mental health
c. Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) identity development and mental health
d) discrimination based on race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion
e) cultural expertise of psychotic disorders and personality disorders
f) bullying and youth development
Training and consulting takes a holistic, multicultural approach and may include the following:
a) Multicultural Awareness and Sensitivity Training: Organizations that are interested in providing opportunities for employees to discuss issues of race, gender, sexual orientation, social class, religion, and ability. Activities may range from group discussions, experiential activities, and personal reflections.
b) Facilitation Training: Organizations that seek training for how to facilitate group discussions. Activities may include didactic activities about group processes, role plays, experiential activities, and group discussions.
c) Multicultural consultation for individual and groups: Organizations that seek specific consultation, advice, or education about multicultural issues. Topics may include: race or racial discrimination, LGBT issues, sexual harassment, Asian American or Filipino American issues, or general mental health issues for communities of color. Activities may include providing educational presentations, research, writing, and information disseminating, counseling, conflict mediation, and individual appointments.
d) Motivational/ Keynote Speeches for events and organizations: Organizations that seek motivational or keynote speeches, lectures, or symposia for events, conferences, colloquia, cultural history months, etc. Topics may include: multicultural issues, Filipino American issues, Asian American issues, LGBTQ issues, activism and community organizing, and social justice advocacy.
Previous clientele has included:
- U.S. Attorney's Office of West Virginia- Wheeling, WV
- New York Police Department- New York, NY
- New York Department of Homeless Services- New York, NY
- The Legal Aid Society of New York- New York, NY
- University of Illinois- Urbana Champaign- Urbana, IL
- Third Millennium Foundation/International Center for Tolerance Education- Brooklyn, NY
- NYC Center for Court Innovation- New York, NY
- Taproot Community Health Clinic- Brooklyn, NY
- Fordham University- Bronx, NY
- University of Vermont- Burlington, VT
- Filipino American Human Services, Inc.- Jamaica, NY
- Grosvener Settlement House- New York, NY
- Columbia University- New York, NY
- Center for Study of Asian American Health- New York, NY
Sample List of Keynote Speeches and Symposia:
- Diversity Challenge at Boston College- Boston, MA
- Cornell Medical Center- White Plains, NY & New York, NY
- Philippine Consulate of New York- New York, NY
- Center on Democracy in a Multiracial Society UIUC- Urbana, IL
- Kirby Forensic Psychiatric Center- Wards Island, NY
- National Federation of Filipino American Associations- Houston, TX
- Asian Pacific Islander Coalition on HIV/AIDS (APICHA)- New York, NY
- University of Buffalo- Buffalo, NY
- Portland State University- Portland, OR
- Texas A&M University- College Station, NY
- Pace University- New York, NY
- Yeshiva University, Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology- Bronx, NY
- New York University School of Social Work- New York, NY
- Mount Sinai Medical Center- New York, NY
- Columbia University Multicultural Affairs- New York, NY
- Michigan State University- East Lansing, MI
- Loyola University- Chicago, IL
- Moreau Catholic High School- Hayward, CA
- University of CA- Davis- Davis, CA
- Northwest Pilipino American Student Association- Corvallis, OR
- Midwest Association of Filipino Americans- Columbus, OH
- Florida State University- Tallahassee, FL
- Brandeis University- Waltham, MA
- Citibank- New York, NY
- Depaul University- Chicago, IL
To learn more, please view Dr. Nadal's resume/ curriculum vitae.